Monday, January 15, 2007

Best Contemporary Theology work: Preliminary votes

As explained here, some of the writers that have been nominated for inclusion on the list of the best contemporary theological works have been nominated with more than one title. For fairness, we will now vote on which work by these writers will be nominated. I will have the polls open as long as I feel is need, maybe a day or two.

The meme continues to live its own life (it has already mutated quite a bit). As long as the preliminary voting is going on I will add titles to the list. (If another title is added by a writer who is already nominated, I will, however, discard it. Too complicated otherwise...)































7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm suprised and saddened that William T. Cavanaugh's Torture and Eucharist didn't make it onto the list...I think is should have.

Patrik said...

Oh, these are only votes on writers with more than one work on the list... Cavanaugh's book is on there and will make it to the round where we vote on the entire list.

Anonymous said...

patrik,
i think there needs to be some investigations into which hans urs von balthasar work's were written within the time frame. i fairly confident that herrliket and theodramatik both fall outside the 1981 publishing. one volume might sneak in, but most if not all were written in the 70's.

Anonymous said...

and only justification for juengel was orignally published in german after 1981

Patrik said...

joshua, thanks for pointing that out. It's difficult to find out the original date of these works. I'm aware that only the last volume of Theodramatik fits in within the time frame. Herrlichkeit (I did not connect it with the right german title) came out in the sixties so that one is definitely out.

Sam Charles Norton said...

where/how was the voting? I would have liked the opportunity.

BTW I'm very glad that James Alison is on the list. I think his 'Boys in the Square' will stand the test of time.

Patrik said...

Ahh, The voting was open for 24+ hours.... Better luck next time.

(I'll keep the "real" vote up much longer.)